Monday 7 April 2014

Terrariums!


Teeny tiny worlds! I was inspired by this old man to post my attempt at a terrarium here. I've been dabbling with terrariums for a while, making the little glass bubble ones for friends as gifts, but I hadn't tried a moss one before. I'm not sure yet if this was successful, but here is a run down.



First a terrarium. I got this one from Michaels. There were two sizes and I got the smaller one (I'm running out of room for plants).


Next was plants. I collected these over the week before by carrying a jar in my purse and grabbing any likely suspects as I found them. Mostly I just kept an eye out in shady spots and other people's planters. That's okay, right?


I also bought some tiny fake mushrooms and terracotta pots so there is some visual interest in there. Also popular: Fairies, gnomes, fake pop cans, etc... These are also from Michaels. I now have enough mini mushrooms to last me a few more projects.


Throwing it together was pretty straight forward from here. I threw some potting soil (the nice kind!) and rocks (for drainage) into the bottom of the terrarium, covering all of the area I was planning to have moss on.


Then I arranged all of the plants in there. The two weeds at the top didn't survive. I'm not sure if it was due to my negligent over-watering or if it didn't like the environment but they kicked it pretty quick, so I'd stick to the moss and lichen. Otherwise, look for things that are visually interesting!


Here's a very fuzzy top view. I've added the little pots and mushrooms. I made a little ball of moss and put it into one pot and left the other one empty. With the mushrooms I just bent the wires into a little spiral shape and then wiggled them under the plants so they stood upright.


And here's the finished product! Hope you enjoyed reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment